You have plenty of options to choose from when it comes to replacing your missing teeth. However, if you don’t like the idea of replacing your dentures or dental bridge every several years, dental implants in West Brookfield may be the solution you’re looking for. This state-of-the-art tooth replacement method can easily last for 30 years or more with the proper care! Enjoy your newly rebuilt smile for decades to come with these simple and practical tips.
Why Do Dental Implants Fail?
Dental implants boast an astonishing success rate of over 95%, even 10 years after they’ve been placed. To gain and maintain a sturdy, reliable foundation in your jawbone, the titanium implant posts undergo osseointegration to fuse with the surrounding bone tissue. However, if something happens to interfere with this process, or if the jawbone loses its integrity, the implant posts could lose their grip and fail.
Poor oral hygiene after getting dental implants allows plaque and bacteria to build up in your mouth, which could hinder your natural healing ability and interfere with osseointegration. You may develop a bacterial infection in your gums called periodontal (gum) disease, which can destroy the connective tissues that help hold your implant post and natural teeth in place as well as damage your jawbone.
How to Prevent Dental Implant Failure
The first step towards protecting your dental implants is to learn what can cause them to fail. Then, you can take the proper steps to ensure your smile is safe, like:
- Practice great oral hygiene: Brushing for two minutes twice a day, flossing daily and rinsing with antiseptic mouthwash regularly are all essential for keeping your mouth clean and healthy and preventing issues that threaten your new teeth.
- Quit tobacco products: Chewing or smoking tobacco products dramatically slows down your natural healing process and leaves your mouth vulnerable to infections, both of which can lead to dental implant failure.
- Keep your dental implant out of danger: If you play sports, wear a mouthguard to protect your dental implants. Avoid chewing on hard objects and grinding your teeth to keep extra pressure off your implant and ensure it stays in place.
- Keep in touch with your dentist: Get in touch with your dentist right away if you have any questions or concerns about your dental implant or your recovery process to make sure your treatment is staying on track.
- Visit your dentist regularly: No matter how many natural teeth you have left, you need to visit your dentist twice a year for routine checkups and cleanings. Not only will this keep your mouth healthy and free of plaque buildup, but it gives your dentist to monitor your dental implant and catch any issues as early as possible.
As long as you keep these tips in mind, you can easily expect to enjoy your dental implants for the rest of your life! To see if this revolutionary tooth replacement option is right for you, give your dentist a call today.
About the Practice
At West Brookfield Dental, we go above and beyond to offer outstanding dental care and excellent customer service for our community. Our team of highly trained specialists use the latest dental technology to provide the most precise, comfortable, and effective treatments. One such service is dental implants, which we are proud to use to help our patients permanently replace any number of missing teeth. To see if dental implants are right for you or to learn more about them, feel free to contact us online or at (508) 867-2777.