Porcelain Veneers – West Brookfield, MA
Covering Up Cracks and Discoloration
Sometimes you’ll want to make multiple changes to your teeth, whether it’s to repair any existing damage or just to improve the color. With porcelain veneers, Dr. Enkin can address several cosmetic issues at once, leaving you with a much more dazzling, natural-looking smile. If you’re tired of cringing every time you see yourself in a photograph, schedule an appointment today to ask about porcelain veneers in West Brookfield.
What are Porcelain Veneers?
Veneers are wafer-thin covers that are bonded to the front of your tooth, completely covering it and effectively changing its color, shape, size and/or length. The shells can be made out of a resin composite (the same type of tooth-colored material that’s often used for fillings), but a cosmetic dentist in West Brookfield will usually prefer porcelain because the way it reflects light is similar to the properties of natural teeth. Also, porcelain tends to be more durable and stain-resistant than composite resin, allowing you to enjoy the effects of the treatment for a longer period of time.
Who’s a Good Candidate for Porcelain Veneers?
- Minor chips and cracks that are eye-catching but aren’t a threat to the tooth’s stability
- Discoloration that normal teeth whitening can’t fix
- Irregularly shaped teeth
- Small gaps
- Disproportionately short teeth
To get veneers, you need to already practice good oral hygiene and have an overall healthy mouth; tooth decay, gum disease and plaque buildup will all need to be treated before you can move forward with the process. Also, the teeth in question need to have enough enamel for the veneers to bond to.
During an initial appointment to plan the treatment, Dr. Enkin will ask what you’re trying to achieve and discuss the procedure in more detail with you. He’ll examine your mouth and may take X-rays to confirm that you’re a good candidate.
Once it’s been decided to move forward, a small amount of enamel will be removed, and impressions will be taken. The impressions are sent to a dental lab where the actual veneers are made, which can take two to four weeks.
Once the veneers are ready, you’ll come back to the office for another appointment. Dr. Enkin will clean and polish your tooth before placing the veneers. They will be held in place with a cement that’s activated with a special curing light. After any necessary adjustments are made, you’ll have a new and improved smile to show off!
Benefits of Porcelain Veneers
- Long-Lasting: Thanks to their durability, porcelain veneers can last for up to 15 years. You’ll have to practice good maintenance, but this is as simple as taking care of your natural teeth (brushing twice a day, seeing the dentist regularly and so on).
- Boosted Confidence: When you no longer have to worry about the small imperfections on your teeth being visible, it can be a lot easier to smile and laugh in public.
- Custom-Made: The shade of your porcelain veneers will be matched to the rest of your natural teeth, so they won’t stand out; other people won’t be able to tell you’ve had dental work done!