Did you know that nearly 75% of all teens and pre-teens need orthodontic treatment? Fortunately, there are more options available than ever before, including traditional braces in West Brookfield and Invisalign clear braces. Both give teenagers the great results they’re after, but each one comes with a different set of advantages to think about. Keep reading to learn about the differences between these two options and which one may be best for your teen!
The Advantages of Traditional Braces
For some teens, traditional braces provide the best results because they offer the following advantages:
- They’re better for severe alignment issues – An orthodontist will begin by evaluating how severe a teenager’s bite alignment or crowding is before making a recommendation. In some cases, traditional braces are necessary because they can exert more pressure on the teeth and bone structure in the jaws.
- No discipline is required – Teens and pre-teens often struggle with keeping their Invisalign trays in for the recommended 22 hours per day, which can interfere with their progress and delay their results. It’s also more common for this age group to misplace or lose their trays, which also lengthens their treatment time. Traditional braces remove any compliance issues altogether.
The Advantages of Invisalign
The biggest advantage of Invisalign for teens is avoiding the embarrassment of wearing brackets and wires. But it also offers several other significant benefits:
- Fewer progress visits – Traditional braces typically require progress visits every 4 weeks. With Invisalign, they’re usually every 6 to 8 weeks.
- Better oral hygiene and fewer cavities – Keeping the teeth and gums clean in braces is challenging and requires a fair amount of extra effort. Since Invisalign trays are removed before brushing and flossing, it’s a lot easier to remove plaque and prevent both cavities and gum problems.
- It’s more comfortable – Metal brackets and wires can easily irritate the lips, cheeks and gums. Invisalign trays are much more comfortable.
- No dietary restrictions – Since aligner trays are removed prior to meals, teens don’t have to give up hard, sticky or crunchy foods like popcorn, apples or dried fruit. However, snacking between meals is discouraged because it reduces the time the trays aren’t being worn.
Which One Is the Right Choice?
Every teen has unique needs. To find out whether traditional braces or Invisalign is best for them, schedule a consultation with an experienced orthodontist in West Brookfield. They’ll do an exam and take images of your teen’s teeth and jaws to see if they’re a candidate for both options. If so, they’ll discuss the pros and cons of each choice in more detail, including the commitment and self-discipline required for Invisalign. Ultimately, their goal is to make sure your teen gets the best final results possible, so they’ll make their recommendations accordingly.
With that said, rest assured that either option will give your teen a straight, beautiful smile that they’ll enjoy for the rest of their lives.
About the Author
Dr. Sam Alkhoury has been an orthodontist for many years and loves seeing how orthodontic treatment help teens achieve more self-confidence, better oral health, and a more attractive smile. If you’d like to know more about Invisalign or braces in West Brookfield for teens or have any other questions, you can contact him via his website.